Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Row 18

 

The challenge at Just Add Ink this week is to just add tearing, ripping or distressing.

I was asked by a friend if I could make a card for her son’s 18th birthday. She said that all she could find in the shops were cards with cars or beers on them.  He is not into that stuff and she wanted something personal.

She had 3 criteria:

1. She wanted an “18” on it.

2. She wanted the word “son” on it.

and the really tough one

3. She wanted it to be a rowing card.

I said “Yes” because I could totally relate, having seen the types of cards my son got at that age, but then freaked out a little.  What could I possibly make?  I did have to really think long and hard about this one.

I have no rowing stamps (I’m not sure whether any actually exist?) and none of the Stampin Up boat stamps either!

She told me that his club was the Buckingham Club (from Tasmania) and I googled it and found the club’s colours were pretty close to our garden green and summer sun (it’s a retired colour, lucky I had a little left!)  So I decided to make an oar in the water and used a stamp from Extreme Elements for the splash.

 

IMG_2072

 

Ingredients :

Stamps : extreme elements

Card : shimmery white, white, glossy white, black, summer sun, garden green

Ink : summer sun, white, versamark, Baja, NQN, Turquoise

Other : white ep., big shot, timeless type alpha

 

I used the computer to print the happy birthday because I didn’t have a set that said “son” in it.  I’ll have to rectify that soon :)

I stamped the splash in versamark and white embossed it and then I sponged baja, NQN and tempting turquoise onto shimmery white.

I was a little scared to tear the bottom edge because that was the last thing I did and I was very happy with what I had created.  But, I was so glad I did, it really added an extra dimension to the card and I love how it turned out.

Please have a look at all the gorgeously “ripped” and “torn” creations over at Just Add Ink this week and give it a try yourself.

 

Kathy

12 comments:

  1. Very clever! I love how you used the splash on this one; great emboss resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a stunning idea Kathy! And a definite for my CASE file. You have completely nailed the rowing theme. I bet this will be a treasured card for the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kathy how very clever of you to come up with this! Well done, particularly love your 'splash' - looks great. Your tearing went really well too, I'm not much into ripping up my cards either so found it a little difficult myself lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is GENIUS, Kathy!! What a fabulous card. You're very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Done!! As an ex rower it caught my eye straight away. The backsplash is great also. Def going in my CASE file.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done... in a manly way, of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an oarsome (sorry I just could not help myself) solution to a really tricky comission Kathy! Very clever and it looks fabulous - love the splash and the tearing too!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy I absolutely agree with everyone else this is "splashtastic" Cheers Donna Zammit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I saw this over on JAI ... and it caught my eye immediately. This is sensational, Kathy! Such a great idea for a "rowing" card! Hugs xxaxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have met the criteria perfectly Kathy, especially having no rowing stamps etc, brilliant job, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son used to row when he was at Cambridge... what a perfect card this would have been for him... it's fabulous!
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unique, clever, arty ... just a few adjectives to describe this awesome card!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!