Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Monochromatic Flutter

The challenge at Just Add Ink this week is Monochrome and I love monochromatic cards so just had to play along with this one.  Monochromatic means using tones of the one colour, but in card making I assume it means to use one plus a neutral.  I did cheat slightly though because I used black to stamp the butterflies and coloured their bodies with choc chip.  I’d still class it as a monochromatic card though – Hopefully they do too!  I decided to use my favourite Stampin Up colour, Baja Breeze and its darker shade Not Quite Navy with vanilla as my neutral.

Picture 158


I used the grid technique on the background piece using baja to sponge and NQN to stamp the images.  I stamped the butterfly in choc chip on the vanilla piece but also stamped them onto shimmery white with stazon and then watercoloured them only using Baja, NQN and a touch of choc for the bodies.  Then I cut them out and stuck them on top of the vanilla piece using mini glue dots.  I realised that you can really bend the shimmer white card and it gave the butterflies a lot of extra dimension.  Plus it gives them a pretty shimmer.
So as you can imagine after doing all that it was not a quick and easy card.  But the hardest part about it was tearing my background grid piece!  Stamping 411 have another wonderful sketch challenge this week and I decided to incorporate both of these challenges into the one card.  It meant that I had to tear my background though and it was hard for me to do it because I really liked how it was.  Anyway I am very happy with the end result I think it actually looks really nice torn now, thanks Stampin 411 for making me do it!  I just finished it off with a birthday sentiment which I stamped with NQN and clear embossed.

Ingredients :
Stamps : because i care, all a flutter, elements of style, music notes wheel, friendly words wheel, sincere salutations
Card : NQN, very vanilla, Baja breeze, naturals ivory, shimmery white
Ink :  baja breeze, NQN, stazon, choc chip, versamark
Other :  mini glue dots, aqua painter, sponge, clear embossing powder

I was having trouble rolling the wheels straight and evenly and I remembered a tip I’d read once and decided to give it a try.  Instead of holding the handle and pushing away or toward yourself, you put the handle down on the table and roll it back.  Amazingly I found it heaps easier and it worked really well for me.  Unfortunately I can’t remember who had this tip to give them credit, but next time your “wheeling” give it a try!
Kathy

20 comments:

  1. I LOVE the 'collage' effect. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you have done your background. Very clever

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love, love your card, so serene and beautiful, please I would love to case this one! TFS! Hugs always! G

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my this is drop dead gorgeous!!! LOVE everything about it! Thanks for playing along this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remarkable.....love all the different papers and texture. Just Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is beautiful!!! WOW the blue is awesome and the collage look really works sooo wonderfully!!
    Smiles Sharnee :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your butterflies look gorgeous!! and particulary stunning on that wonderful background you created.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning card...the collage background is a great idea! Thanks for playing at JAI.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love this card! Love the collage effect along with the gorgeous butterflies! Thanks for sharing this with us:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your grid background is rockin the house! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful job you've done. Congrats on being a top pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is very beautiful! Congrats on your top pick! Can I ask where I could find more info on the "grid technique" ?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is simply stunning. I have never seen that grid technique before ... and just love it! (I love layered stamping, too!) This is amazing, Kathy! Congrats on the top pick ... and thanks so much for letting me know too! Big hugs xxaxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the background collage on this card. It's beautiful and the butterflies are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the multi-imaged background! What a fun monochromatic card!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful collage background! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats on winning Kathy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the background that you put together. Very creative! Great job with the sketch. Thanks for playing along with the Stamping 411 Operators this week! Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful card! Love everything about it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!