Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Sea Happy

 

This week at Just Add Ink the challenge is to case ME.

So you can copy a card layout or technique I’ve done or perhaps make a card using my “style”.

I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

When I applied for the design team position at JAI, one of the questions I had to answer was “What’s your style?”  And I had no idea.  I don’t think I have any style at all and others would probably agree. Ha Ha.  In terms of card making though, I’m not sure I have a style really because I go from cute kids cards and clean and simple ones to more “shabby, distressed” looks. 

Perhaps this challenge will show me what you think my style of card making is?

 

Here are the two cards I cased.

 

IMG_1486IMG_2815

 

It is one of my favourite layouts and this will be the 3rd card I have made using it now. This time though, I challenged myself to make it a “manly” card.

 

IMG_3416

 

I thought I would use my new Open Sea set as there are a lot of great images in it.  I was one short though so I raided my stamps in the hope of finding something else and I found the shell in my Nature’s Nest set.  It worked perfectly with the others.

I thought I might try something a little different this time and I used the mother of pearl technique on the squares.  I stamped the images onto glossy white with Cherry, scrunched up some clingwrap and after dipping it in white shimmer paint, dabbed it over the top.  I then sponged suede on to each square and around the sides but tried to keep the centre of the image “clean”. It’s a bit hard to photograph but you can see the pearl effect more on the shell square.

Then I punched them out.  I have had a few questions each time I’ve done this layout asking me which square punch I use.  It’s the largest square punch.  Sorry for not mentioning that before.

I tried to “grunge up” the Happy Birthday banner with some distressing, folding and sponging and I was happy with how it turned out.  I love that Perfectly Penned set!

 

Ingredients :

Stamps : The open sea, Nature’s nest, Perfectly penned

Card : vanilla, suede, glossy white

Ink : cherry, suede, stazon

Other : big shot, framed tulips, square punch, vintage trinkets, white shimmer paint

 

I hope you’ll take a look at my blog and find something you’d like to case.

I’d love to see what you create!

 

Kathy

9 comments:

  1. I'm going to try and CASE this one I think. :) I love it with The Open Sea and that technique! It looks super great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've been wanting to do a grid card for so long and your samples are more than enough inspiration to get me into my craft room. LOVE all three especially the CASE of your work. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, this card is FABULOUS!! You do "you" so well! Love, love, love the grungy look of your masculine card; will be CASEing this one for sure! (Probably not for this challenge, though, LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a pretty layout and perfect for so many different themes, thanks for sharing, I really like your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinda like a self portrait of creativeness for you with this challenge, l love all of your designs Kathy, it was hard to choose just one to case, but l love the one l finally chose and it was a pleasure to case you, l love the variety you produce. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OHMYGOD! I just discovered your blog today! You can bet I'll be back...again and again and again! These grid cards are gorgeous and I can't wait to give it a try! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know I only just realised that you only have three panels on each row - slaps head in disbelief!! Very pleased I got the chance to CASE it and I love your masculine take on it! Gorgeous vintage images, beautifully weathered.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your layout Kathy - thanks for your inspiration! I'm sooo into the neutral tones of your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this design and it is just fabulous. i am so glad i ran into your blog and will be following. I will have to case some of these designs and don't worry I will give you credit. TFS and you deserve the crown always! Hugs,Bev

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!